Friday, December 2, 2011

Leads: Story Bait


Authors carefully craft a story's lead sentence.  The lead sentence, first sentence, in a story invites the reader into the text.  As bait attracts fish, the lead sentence attracts the reader to the rest of the story.

There are many ways to write a lead sentence:
  • Write a descriptive segment prompting the reader to feel like he/she is right there in the middle of the story setting. Dancing in the bright spring sunshine while the children played below on the Indian Hill School playground, my featherweight Brownie dress hung like a flag from the teachers' room window on the school's second floor.
  • Ask a Question:  "Do you want to go home?" my teacher, Mrs. Foley, asked me.
  • Start with Dialogue:
    • Craft a symbolic statement: The yellow paint adorned my Brownie dress like a splash of sunshine.
    • Do you have a better idea?  If so, let me know.
    Tonight, use one of the lead ideas above and write the lead to your personal narrative #1 in the comment section below.  I'll take a look at your leads tomorrow morning.  Email me if you have questions.