Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Specific Nouns

Wonderful writers use specific nouns when they write.  Instead of writing a sentence like this, "He goes to the park," a wonderful writer might write a sentence like this instead, "Michael rides his blue bike to Hannah Williams Park after school every Monday afternoon."  Wonderful writers name things specifically.

Nouns are words that name persons, places, things and ideas.  Write two sentences about your life and use at least 3 specific nouns in each sentence.  Most specific nouns are proper nouns so don't forget to capitalize them.

Ms. Devlin's Example: (I underlined all the specific nouns)

Uncle Neil and Aunt Miriam treated me to my first airplane ride to Miami, Florida when I was sixteen years old.

My husband, Mike, sons, Ryan, Matt and Sean, and I enjoy biking around the Charles River in Boston, Massachusetts.