Monday, October 24, 2011

In Storytelling, Three is a Magic Number

Roy Peter Clark, in his article,"If I were a carpenter," suggests 20 tips for wonderful writing.  He writes, "In storytelling, three is the magic number. Four is too many. Two is not enough."

So when writing, strive to provide three examples each time. When you make lists of three, remember to add a comma between the first and second example. You can choose whether you add a comma between the second example and the word and. Whatever you choose to do, you're supposed to stick with that choice throughout your writing piece.

Assignment:  Complete each sentence below in the comment section.


My favorite objects in my bedroom are my ______________, ______________ and _____________.


During summer vacation, I like to _______________, _______________ and ________________.


My favorite activities in school are ________________, ______________ and _______________.

Here's my example of the assignment.
My favorite objects in my bedroom are my poetry books, Navajo blanket and puffy comforter.
During summer vacation, I like to travel, ride my bike and swim.
My favorite activities in school are technology, art projects and read aloud.